Re: [Exim] rewriting Sender: that doesn't have a domain

Top Pagina
Auteur: Philip Hazel
Aan: Marc MERLIN
CC: exim-users
Onderwerp: Re: [Exim] rewriting Sender: that doesn't have a domain
On Wed, 2 Aug 2000, Marc MERLIN wrote:

> Here's the Email:
> From: merlin@???
> To: marc@???
> Sender: merlin
> Subject: test

How did you submit this? If it wasn't via SMTP over TCP/IP, the Sender:
header will be removed. Ah, I see it was "local". That explains it.

> And the debug (notice that Sender is untouched):

> >>Final headers:
> P Received: from root by mail.valinux.com with local (Exim 3.16 #1 (Debian))
>    id 13K9cM-0002zQ-00
>    for <marc@???>; Wed, 02 Aug 2000 18:16:14 -0700
> F From: merlin@???
> T To: marc@???
> * Sender: merlin
>   Subject: test
> I Message-Id: <E13K9cM-0002zQ-00@???>
>   Date: Wed, 02 Aug 2000 18:16:14 -0700

Notice that Sender is marked with '*'. That means it has been removed
from the message.

You cannot submit a message over the local interface with a Sender in
it. Exim removes Sender, and, if necessary, inserts a new one with the
authenticated message sender.

Try your test again by telnetting to the SMTP port.

Exim manual -> index -> Sender: header -> page 234 -> section 46.11
("The Sender: header") -> gives this explanation.