Re: [Exim] Retry rules

Top Pagina
Auteur: Philip Hazel
Aan: Dave C.
CC: John P Connor, exim-users
Onderwerp: Re: [Exim] Retry rules
On Wed, 2 Aug 2000, Dave C. wrote:

> On Wed, 2 Aug 2000, John P Connor wrote:
>
> > I have inbound servers which take mail & re-deliver to mail holding servers.
> > I always want an inbound server to attempt delivery to a holding server,
> > even if that server has not accepted mail moments earlier.
> >
> > Will a retry rule such as this enable this behaviour:
> >
> > [10.15.20.41]        *           F,5m,1s; G,4d,1h,1.5

> Retry rules are based on the domain of the recipient address - not the
> hostname or IP address. If all mail is routed to the server anyway
> (regardless of destination), then just use a '*' as the first item to
> match all domains...

Not quite true. Retry rules for individual hosts can be based on the
host name. When searching the retry rules, each rule is first matched
against the host name, but if this doesn't match, it is then matched
against the domain name. See example in section 31.1 ("Retry rules") in
chapter 31 ("Retry configuration").

However, in no case is the retry rule ever matched against an IP
address.

If you change [10.15.20.41] to the name of the host involved, that retry
rule will permit retrying almost immediately for the first 5 minutes;
after than it will wait one hour, and then increasing intervals up to 4
days. Doesn't quite look like what you have stated you actually want,
which sounds more like

host.name * F,100d,1s

With that rule (almost) every incoming message will try the host, and
any queue runner process will try (almost) every message.