Re: [Exim] Qualifying single addresses

Author: Philip Hazel
To: sys044
CC: exim-users
Subject: Re: [Exim] Qualifying single addresses
On Wed, 2 Aug 2000 sys044@??? wrote:

> I am just checking that this is how EXIM works as compared with
> Sendmail as am just migrating when the address is only a single
> item i.e. recipient address of
>
>     j.linn@abdn

> Sendmail would look "abdn" up in the DNS and locally this
> would yeild "abdn.ac.uk" which it would subsequently use.
>
> EXIM adds the qualify_domain which I have set to abdn.ac.uk and
> this gives
>     "abdn.abdn.ac.uk"  which fails to route.

No. That is not the way Exim works. It will look up abdn in the DNS
unless you have unset qualify_single. The only way it can do what you
have described is if you have set widen_domains to abdn.ac.uk, which it
will indeed add after failing to lookup abdn.

> This is fine for "maths: and "engineering" as
>
>     j.linn@eng    yeilds eng.abdn.ac.uk which is correct.

> "qualify_single" does not seem to apply here.

It certainly should. Please run a -bt test with -d11 set, to check
exactly what DNS lookups are being done.