Re: [Exim] Mass mailing..

Author: Dave C.
To: Philip Hazel
CC: exim-users
Subject: Re: [Exim] Mass mailing..
On Tue, 1 Aug 2000, Philip Hazel wrote:

> On Mon, 31 Jul 2000, Dave C. wrote:
>
> > I'm trying to figure out the most efficient way of dropping this into
> > exim's queue. Should I drop them in batches, adding a delay between
> > each, to avoid the 'queue_only_load', or will I do just as well to just
> > drop them all in as one, and let exim queue them up and run them out
> > after? Anyone have any other ideas?
>
> 7000 is a big queue, less so if you have split_spool_directory set. You
> could try something like:

I do have the spool split.

> Submit 100 with -odq; start a queue runner; wait a bit; repeat

Hrm.. Will -odq work in conjunction with -bS? (Im constructing SMTP
sessions so as to have direct control over the envelope and the
headers)

> The length of "a bit" probably depends on how quickly the messages can
> be delivered. If it's fast, one minute might be fine. You could make it
> dynamic: wait till queue size has gone down by, say, 90.

Well, I broke them into groups of around 600 each. I'm not sure how it
went, becuase I wasnt in at the time that we wanted to send them
(Someone else did - I have yet to discuss how well it went with them)