Re: [Exim] SMTP AUTH and SSL

Author: Philip Hazel
To: Marc MERLIN
CC: Dave C., exim-users
Subject: Re: [Exim] SMTP AUTH and SSL
On Thu, 27 Jul 2000, Marc MERLIN wrote:

> I'd agree here, but as I mentionned, those password are the main user
> passwords, they can be used to get a shell login.

Many sites use entirely different passwords for AUTH (and indeed
POP/IMAP), for just this reason.

> It's still not perfect since exim loses the remote IP info when it's
> launched by a wrapper, but it's better than nothing.

If you can modify the wrapper, you can pass the remote IP info into Exim
using the -oMa and similar options (provided the caller is trusted).

> Hopefully, TLS support will be added in for good, just like in postfix and
> sendmail.

It's on the list. Somebody promised to think about it. Maybe I'll even
get to it myself sometime. :-)