Re: [Exim] rewriting Sender: that doesn't have a domain

Author: Marc MERLIN
To: Vikaas BV
CC: exim-users
Subject: Re: [Exim] rewriting Sender: that doesn't have a domain
On Fri, Jul 28, 2000 at 09:33:30AM +0530, Vikaas BV wrote:
> Hi,
>
> In Exim there is a field called qualify_domain in the main configuration

After spending 30 hours reading all the docs, so that I could have half a
clue about what I'm doing, I now know that :-)
(doesn't mean I understood and absorbed everything, but I tried :-p)

> section. This specifies the domain to be appended to unqualified sender
> addresses. The second issue you have to be careful about in this scenario

Yeah, that works for From:, not for Sender. I know, I've had remote sites
reject Email from my domain because a user was using a version of netscape
that put an unqualified Sender:

> is the relay mechanism and also the variable called sender_verify and
> sender_verify_reject. In all probability I feel that setting the

Yep :-) my config file says:
# Refuse senders with bad envelope senders
sender_verify = true
sender_verify_reject = true

Note that exim will not bother with Sender: if From: or "From " is correct.

> qualify_domain should solve your problem.

Nope, unfortunately. I attached a test message to show this

I apparently really have to do rewriting  on Sender, and my regex only works
with exim -brw :-(
# Some versions of netscape put a Sender field without a domain :-( -- Marc

Thanks for your answer though.
Marc

Finger marc_f@??? for PGP key and other contact information