[Exim] SMTP AUTH and SSL

Author: Marc MERLIN
To: exim-users
CC: Paul.Makepeace
Subject: [Exim] SMTP AUTH and SSL
I'm trying to configure SMTP AUTH on my new server so that users travelling
(and using netscape) and relay Email through our server.
The problem is that I'm not about to let them send their password in
plaintext (I'm authenticating against the main password database). I know
it's really base 64, but that's plaintext equivalent.

I have stunnel working and all (works fine for imap), and I've read the C027
file in the exim samples, but I'm not getting very far with netscape talking
to exim.
I've found  on the web  that recent netscapes don't  talk to the  ssmtp port
(although I can  force them to do so by  specifying mailserver:465) but just
in case, I have stunnel listening on both ports:
root      4886  0.0  0.0  2588 1440 ?        S    01:05   0:00 /usr/sbin/stunnel -p /etc/ssl/certs/stunnel.pem -d smtp -l /usr/sbin/exim -- exim -C /etc/exim-ssl.conf -bs
root      4888  0.0  0.0  2432 1292 ?        S    01:05   0:00 /usr/sbin/stunnel -p /etc/ssl/certs/stunnel.pem -d ssmtp -l /usr/sbin/exim -- exim -C /etc/exim-ssl.conf -bs

Yet, when netscape connects to send a message, I see the 3 way TCP
handshake, and then nothing. Netscape seems to be waiting for the SMTP
banner whereas stunnel is waiting for SSL stuff.
On netscape, I've tried "use SSL for outgoing messages" "if possible" and
"always"

What am I missing?

Thanks,
Marc