Re: [Exim] Conversion/Capabilities questions

Página superior
Eliminar este mensaje
Autor: J.R. Van Valen
A: exim-users
Asunto: Re: [Exim] Conversion/Capabilities questions
On Wed, Jul 26, 2000 at 11:29:40AM -0500, George R. Kasica wrote:
> My questions are these:
>
> 1) What would be the process to convert from sendmail 8.9.3 to exim?

More information about your configuration would be helpful. Approximately
how many users? What OS (Linux, BSD, Solaris, etc.)? Also, what are your
reasons for wanting to convert (besides from the obvious that Exim is
better)?

> 2) Does exim have a facility to allow the authorization I mention
> above while still being safe from the "open relay" problem and
> allowing us to use RBL as well?

Yes, there is a hack to support POP before relay; however, it will most
likely need to be customized for your environment. It was designed for
UW-POP3 servers; but, I'm sure it can be modified to support others. RBL
support is included into Exim.

> 3) How does this integrate with Majordomo since we have 20+ lists
> running and I don't wish to break these or the majorcool web admin
> interface.

I am not familiar with the majorcool web interface; but, I have had
majordomo working with Exim for a long time; it's nothing hard.

> 4) Are there any other gotchas I should be aware of in conversion
> (problems with Apache web server running frontpage 2000 extensions,
> etc)?

Not that I am aware of.

> 5) Anyone willing to do this conversion for us for a reasonable fee,
> since I'm by no means a sendmail or exim expert and cannot afford to
> have the system broken while converting it.....

Almost any system admin would tell you that you should have some sort of
backup before doing something like this. Another machine available to
prepare the new Exim configuration is a good idea. Then you could be sure
the Exim configuration works before launching it.

I would be willing to do or help you do the conversion given that it is
reasonable. You should contact me off-list if interested.

Regards,

--
J.R. Van Valen
jrv@???