Re: [Exim] exim in large-scale production environment

Autor: Tom Samplonius
A: J.R. Van Valen
CC: exim-users
Assumpte: Re: [Exim] exim in large-scale production environment
On Fri, 14 Jul 2000, J.R. Van Valen wrote:

> As for the 7 POP/IMAP servers: We find that it is much more effecient at
> eliminating the effect of mail outages. If one of the servers has issues,
> then only 1/7th of our user-base can not access mail.
>
> This definitely lightens the load for our help desk during mail outages.
> If we were to use fewer servers, then during a mail outage, our HelpDesk
> would be (and has been) swamped with a nearly un-manageable amount of
> calls.
>
> We made this change about a year ago and I'll have to say that it has by
> far been one of the best changes we have made to our mail infastructure.

I have trouble grasping this. What kind of server were you using such
that it failed more than once a year? I would say that if you
experiencing more than one failure a year, you need a better server, not
more of them. In fact you add more servers, the total number of failures
a year will increase proportionally.

Tom