Re: [Exim] exim from a dial-up connection

Startseite
Nachricht löschen
Nachricht beantworten
Autor: Jim Knoble
To: exim-users
Betreff: Re: [Exim] exim from a dial-up connection
Johannes--

Generally, the best solution for a dialup connection is something like
the following:

  (1) Set 'queue_remote' in exim.conf (or use the 'queue_only_file'
      facility).

  (2) On system startup, and generally when the dialup connection is
      not up, run exim as 'exim -bd'.  If you don't need or want an
      SMTP listener at all, don't run any exim processes when the
      dialup connection is down.

  (3) When the dialup connection comes up, start a queue-runner process
      (for example, 'exim -q10').  If you're using 'queue_only_file',
      (and if you're also running an exim SMTP listener) you may also
      wish to rename or remove the appropriate file while the
      connection is up.

  (4) When the connection goes down, kill the queue-runner process (and
      replace the queue-only file if you're using that facility).

With that sort of configuration, you won't have to worry about retry
times.

In the meantime, try removing the 'retry' database in your exim spool
directory (on my system, /var/spool/exim/db/retry) and run 'exim -qf'
again.

--
jim knoble | jmknoble@??? | http://www.jmknoble.cx/

Circa 2000-Jul-20 12:33:34 +0200 dixit Johannes Zellner:

: I've trouble getting my mail delivered from a dial-up connection.
:
: This is what I get:
: 2000-07-20 12:22:00 13FC2A-00069b-00 == johannes@??? T=remote_smtp defer (101): Network is unreachable
: 2000-07-20 12:22:00 13FCKP-0006DA-00 nish.pair.com [209.68.1.193]: Network is unreachable
: 2000-07-20 12:22:00 13FCKP-0006DA-00 == johannes@??? T=remote_smtp defer (101): Network is unreachable
:
: and
:
: 2000-07-20 12:08:09 13FC2A-00069b-00 == johannes@??? T=remote_smtp defer (-44): retry time not reached for any host
: 2000-07-20 12:08:09 13FCKP-0006DA-00 == johannes@??? T=remote_smtp defer (-44): retry time not reached for any host
:
: but the route is ok, I've a ppp connection and the traceroute
: to the above hosts gets thru.
:
:
: I run exim with `exim -qf' as soon as I'm connected.
:
: Can anyone help me with this ?