[Exim] Re: virtual domains - popper

Página superior
Eliminar este mensaje
Autor: John Henders
A: exim-users
Asunto: [Exim] Re: virtual domains - popper
In <0007031016590J.81378@???> paul@??? (Paul Robinson) writes:

>> Other than that, cucipop (IIRC) has a patch to use PAM for
>> authentication. That opens for a lot of alternatives.

>(spit)... I really, really, really didn't like cucipop when I was playing with
>it. It just seemed to be a poor equivalent in terms of performance on my setup
>to qpopper. Unless somebody can prove me wrong of course.

Odd. Isn't qpopper the pop daemon that copies the entire mailbox every
time it's opened? I've found that one to be the biggest performance hog
of any of the available poppers on systems running with <2000 users as
well as systems running with 20,000+ users. Cucipop is designed to avoid
these problems and was a performance win in the short term in every case
where I've used it to replaced qpopper. However, cucipop can bring
about long term performance problems on servers where users are allowed
to leave mail on the server, as it's very method of speeding up
performance works very well to defeat the anti-fragmentation code in the
unix filesystem. I've seen a 20 gig disk array that was 70% full running
at a constant 100% busy due to fragmentation and it's really not pretty.
Maildir seems to me to be the absolute best solution I've seen yet to
these performance problems, and brings along a cheap expiry of
previously read mail solution as well.

--
  Artificial Intelligence stands no chance against Natural Stupidity.