Re: [Exim] Exim setup done and it works ok, but...

Top Pagina
Auteur: Michael Stevens
Aan: exim-users
Onderwerp: Re: [Exim] Exim setup done and it works ok, but...
On Mon, Jul 17, 2000 at 08:47:58AM -0700, John W Baxter wrote:
> At 11:21 +0100 7/17/2000, Paul Robinson wrote:
> >I think this one is quite simple - I would love to be able to specify my own
> >bounce messages (custom ones for RBL, no such user, etc.) but I think if that
> >isn't possible, there is another solution. Why don't you add:
>
> The Tower of Babel is already bad enough, with each MTA having its own way
> of saying "we couldn't deliver this because you addressed it wrong." (AOL
> may be the worst: listing several things which can cause delivery failure,
> and eventually getting around to saying which one caused *this* delivery
> failure.)
>
> The last thing administrators of mailing lists, and other automatic bounce
> handlers, need is each *instance* of each MTA doing its own thing.

What we actually need (IMHO) is a formal standard for these things
so they can be machine-read easily. Conveniently enough, I believe there
_is_ such a standard, and Philip has previously discussed the idea of
implementing it on this mailing list. Sadly, I can't quite remember what
it is. Anyone? If not, it'll be in the archives.