Re: [Exim] Exim setup done and it works ok, but...

Author: Kalum Somaratna aka Grendel
To: Michael Stevens
CC: exim-users
Subject: Re: [Exim] Exim setup done and it works ok, but...
On Sun, 16 Jul 2000, The awesome and feared Michael Stevens commented thusly,

> On Sun, Jul 16, 2000 at 07:09:38AM +0600, Kalum Somaratna aka Grendel wrote:
> > On 15 Jul 2000, The awesome and feared michael@??? commented thusly,
> > > If bounces had a more personal text, I am afraid more people would act
> > > that way.
> > This would not happen if it is made clear that the sender is *not* a
> > human, Ie: a line like "as sincerely as software could be" will make
> > things very clear to the recepient that this is *not* a human..
>
> I hate to say this, but I think you have an unjustified faith in people's
> reading and comprehension skills. Or, more precisely, most people's inclination
> to apply them.

Well FWIW The above text was taken from a Automailing program from Rob
Kolstad's Site. I suppose Rob Kolstadt needs no introduction to most of
you, and for people who don't know Rob, suffice it to say that he is one
of the few *real* UNIX gurus out there.

His mesasge is sent from a "System Daemon <daemon@???>", and
are you telling me that *he* has unjustified faith in people's
comprehension skills.

Besides talking about friendly messages, just see how many

POP3-servers have friendly messages (Cuci-pop fr ex has this "+OK Was it
as good for you, as it was for me? (clean as a baby)" ,
and how many
FTP servers, SMTP servers (Helo xxx pleased to meet you) have friendly
messages....hmm...

So according to some of the doomsayers who hate machine generated friendly
messages, eternal chaos should reign, with people thinkin that the pop-3
server is actually a human etc etc etc...

IMHO a friendly machine generated message makes it more palatable for the
*majority* of us humans and thats what matters..

Best Wishes,
Grendel

Hi, I'm a signature virus. plz set me as your signature and help me spread
:)