Re: [Exim] lowest MX record - strange situation

Author: Nigel Metheringham
To: dimitry
CC: exim-users
Subject: Re: [Exim] lowest MX record - strange situation
gw-exim@??? said:
> But I think if all lowest relays are down and the Exim-host sees
> itself as "first-alive-relay" it have to try deliver to lowest MX
> relays time to time by the MX-list.

> >That is silly. Why try mail.123.com twice?

> Please see above.

That makes no sense whatsoever. Just put an appropriately quick retry
rule on mail.123.com - you aren't going to normally find it fails once
and then immediately works unless you have a broken network, and
patching application s/w is not the right way to deal with that.

An alternative approach might be to tie multiple IP addresses to
mail.123.com - exim will try all of those.

Anyhow, the MX specs say that exim *must* not deliver to

if the current host is

since bouncing mail between equally prefered MXes is a mail loop and a
bad thing(tm).

    Nigel.
[ Nigel Metheringham                  Nigel.Metheringham@??? ]