Re: [Exim] Question about exims security vs qmail?

Startseite
Nachricht löschen
Nachricht beantworten
Autor: Dirk Koopman
To: Kalum Somaratna aka Grendel
CC: exim-users
Betreff: Re: [Exim] Question about exims security vs qmail?
On Tue, 11 Jul 2000, Kalum Somaratna aka Grendel wrote:
> I must certainly protest about this...FWIW and from my own personal
> experice qmail is very slim and is the fastest MTA out there. And qmail
> certainly can handle large amounts of mail very easily, please remember
> the folks at hotmail.com use qmail (on solaris boxes IIRC)...and you can
> imagine the huge amount of mail qmail handles..

I really don't want to get into the sort of religious war over a situation
that happened more than two years ago. The details were as I said. I make
no comment as to current software or attitudes. I can only tell you what
actually happened then and why I am now using exim and not qmail or postfix.

Can I just add for completeness that qmail at that time (around 0.95->1.00)
was being actively developed (postfix had not (just) appeared yet) and
msexchange.org was banned from using another ISP (not BT) because their mail
exploder (qmail) could not handle the load.

BT (and this may surprise some people) said: "why not try this MTA we have
here", we did and it just worked. That experience, the reliability of the
product and the friendly support that we have received here is why I recommend
exim over any other MTA. Period.

Curiously, I see that the original ISP that banned us has ditched qmail and is
now also using exim :-)

All I am saying I suppose is that exim is perfectly fast enough for any
purpose that we have used it for - AND - that has included a mailing list
moving several Gbytes per day.

You pays your money and you takes your choice. This message explains
mine.

Dirk
--
Dirk-Jan Koopman, Tobit Computer Co Ltd
At the source of every error which is blamed on the computer you will find