Re: [Exim] Question about exims security vs qmail?

Top Pagina
Auteur: Kalum Somaratna aka Grendel
Aan: Dirk Koopman
CC: exim-users
Onderwerp: Re: [Exim] Question about exims security vs qmail?
On Tue, 11 Jul 2000, The awesome and feared Dirk Koopman commented thusly,

> This is an old and hoary one. Just for the record, there was a mailing list
> run for a while for msexchange.org (before it moved to the US) that had a
> machine dedicated to it at BT in Telehouse which exploded more mail than the
> rest of BT Net put together (if I recall correctly twice as much as the rest
> of BT Net put together) [we are talking Gbytes per day here].
>
> That originally used qmail as an exploder until it started to fall over with
> the volume (and yes, there was much close attention paid to it by the owner
> and DJB). Eventually exim was tried, found to use far less CPU and bandwidth
> and it just worked - out of the box (this was 2.xx).

I must certainly protest about this...FWIW and from my own personal
experice qmail is very slim and is the fastest MTA out there. And qmail
certainly can handle large amounts of mail very easily, please remember
the folks at hotmail.com use qmail (on solaris boxes IIRC)...and you can
imagine the huge amount of mail qmail handles..

E-groups are doing well while running qmail (and incidently since the
postfix mailing list is hosted at egroups it too is run by qmail..how
ironic).

I don't think I have to go on and on...suffice it to say that qmail is
running without problem on many sites that handle *massive* amounts of
mail (hotmail, egroups etc)....IMHO for high volume emails qmail is the
best...

> Another advantage of exim is that the authors will listen, discuss and act on
> reasonable suggestions - this is pearl beyond price esp. compared with
> certain other authors of MTAs.

No doubt you are meaning DJB and the authour of Postfix here...which is
most unfair and intolerable IMHO because these guys are highly unlikely to
be on this list so that they can defend themselves..

Well I have been on the qmail list and although DJB and the postfix guy
tend to fly into awesome fits of rage sometimes (that may be the reason
for your above comment) ;) I find that there are indeed willing to
listen...

Best Wishes
Grendel

> Dirk
> --
> Dirk-Jan Koopman, Tobit Computer Co Ltd
> At the source of every error which is blamed on the computer you will find
> at least two human errors, including the error of blaming it on the computer.

Yes, Well I think that you made two errors in your mail above...Blame it
on qmail and postfix ;)

Hi, I'm a signature virus. plz set me as your signature and help me spread
:)