[Exim] TCP service "smtp" not found

Startseite
Nachricht löschen
Nachricht beantworten
Autor: John Horne
To: Exim Users List
Betreff: [Exim] TCP service "smtp" not found
Hello,

We received these two messages in the exim 3.15 panic log from yesterday:

2000-07-09 12:21:02 13Ax3s-0006wj-00 TCP service "smtp" not found
2000-07-09 12:21:11 13AvVX-0003da-00 TCP service "smtp" not found

The main log shows nothing untowards at these times. I would have said that
the message was saying that it couldn't find the 'smtp' service in the
/etc/services file, but then why did it work the second before this and the
second after? The only other 'event' going on was that the mailhub was
busier than usual - part of our network was out and would have only been
brought back up sometime that day. So any queued mail would then have been
delivered. Even so it shouldn't have caused any significant problems - the
mailhub has handled much more mail than would have been queued.

Oddly, both messages were for me and both arrived successfully yesterday
(Sunday), having been held since Friday about 17:00 (when our bit of the
network was dropped).

There's nothing about this in the FAQ, but is in the egroups archives (from
Drew Smith in Jan 2000). However, in their case it was a permanent problem
caused by permissions. In ours it appeared and then went again. Mail is
being sent/received fine.

Anyone any ideas why the SMTP service should suddenly disappear then
reappear?

Thanks,

John.

John Horne, University of Plymouth, UK             Tel: +44 (0)1752 233914
E-mail: jhorne@???