Re: [Exim] Exim seems to be changing my mail headers??

Autor: Philip Hazel
A: Kalum Somaratna aka Grendel
CC: exim-users
Assumpte: Re: [Exim] Exim seems to be changing my mail headers??
On Sun, 9 Jul 2000, Kalum Somaratna aka Grendel wrote:

> Since this is my home machine I use a nonexistant domain name called
> roadrunner.grendel.net.

This is the source of the problem (see below).

> The problem is that *although* my mail composer (PINE) says that the mail
> is from <kalum@lintux> , when Exim tries to deliver mail instead of saying
> that the sender is <kalum@???> it says
> <kalum@???> which is immediately rejected as a
> nonexistent domain so my mail bounces.

Read up about Sender: headers and envelope senders. Exim insists that
the sender of a message is the logged in user who submits it locally.
This is really aimed at multi-user machines, and hosts where there is
only one mail domain, but that's the way it is, I'm afraid.

You get get rid of Sender: headers by this new feature, added at 3.14:

17. If no_local_from_check is set, checking the From: line of locally
submitted messages for matching the login id is disabled, so no Sender: header
is ever added. The envelope sender, however, is still forced to be the login id
at the qualify domain.

However, as you see, it still insists that the sender is the logged in
user.

> here are snippets from my configure file
>
> qualify_domain = roadrunner.grendel.net
> local_domains = localhost:roadrunner:grendel:roadrunner.grendel.net

If you can set qualify_domain = lintux.cx then it will do what you want.

If, however, you want to exist in a "split universe" where you use
different domains for internal and external mail, things are quite
difficult because Exim wasn't designed for this kind of environment. It
was designed for online systems where the domains are universal. I never
expected it to be used in systems that had "private" names and were not
permanently online.

There is some stuff in the FAQ about handling different internal vs
external domains, but it is messy.

Another approach that might help is to use Exim's rewrite rules in some
way if you can bend them to do what you want.