Re: [Exim] SNMP and Exim

Author: Pete Naylor
To: J C Lawrence
CC: exim-users
Subject: Re: [Exim] SNMP and Exim
J C Lawrence wrote...

> I'd like to instrument my Exim installations under SNMP via the UCD
> SNMP server's external script feature. Anybody done this, or
> something like this?

I don't have code which I can share at this time (perhaps later, when I've
cleaned it up and made it more generally useful to others), but I have
built a solution similar to your description for my employer. There is a
small daemon written in C which tails the main log, and uses regular
expressions to grab interesting information for storing in a set of
counters. Upon receipt of a signal, the daemon spits that information
into a file which is then read in as input by an external script for the
SNMP daemon we use.

Actually a fairly similar setup to what eximon uses.

> Ideally I'd like the same set of stats that eximon graphs, plus
> perhaps max and average spool age.

You can grab the set of regular expressions used by eximon for the default
graphs, and then you can extend on this to the extent of your regexp
skills - each new counter you setup is available as a different OID.

--
Pete Naylor