[Exim] Rejecting due to reverse DNS lookup failture

Página superior
Eliminar este mensaje
Autor: Terry Edhouse
A: exim-users
Asunto: [Exim] Rejecting due to reverse DNS lookup failture
    At the moment we refuse to accept mail from hosts where a reverse DNS
lookup fails to supply a hostname for the calling IP address, or if the
returned name gives a different IP address when it is looked-up (or the
lookup fails).

    I am told that this is a perfectly acceptable thing to do, and is even
desirable.  However I'm getting an increasing amount of grief from users
(one in particular) because people report that they are sending them
mail and it's failing to get through (because of the reverse DNS lookup
fails), as the following log extracts show :

2000-06-27 14:06:53 connection from [209.38.156.44] refused (failed to
find host name from IP address)

2000-06-27 14:10:07 connection from [193.113.200.7] refused (no IP
address found for aldus.genie.syncordia.net, the host name obtained from
193.113.200.7)

    My question is - how common is this practice amongst members of the
list, and how do you deal with the users who give you grief because mail
to them is not getting through?

--Terry Edhouse
Department of Electronics
University of York

PS. When did managing a DNS zone become rocket science? Or is just a
case of the point-and-click brigade not bothering to read Albitz & Liu?