[Exim] Hold_domains on a central mailhub?

Author: John Horne
To: Exim Users List
Subject: [Exim] Hold_domains on a central mailhub?
Hello,

I have spoken to Philip Hazel (from last year!) regarding a problem we
seem to (still) have, and the conclusion seems to be that there may be no
easy (any?) solution. I checked the FAQ and the archives as well :-)

We are running exim 3.15 on the University's central mailhub. Mail for staff
and students is received by the mailhub and sent on the one of several
Novell file servers. To do this, we recognise the file servers as 'local'
and use a smartuser director to perform a lookup of the userid in a file and
then send the message to the corresponding file server. No problem with this.

However, it is not unusual to be asked to 'hold' the mail for all the users
on a specific file server whilst some problem is sorted out. I thought that
using the 'hold_domains' option would do this. However, it seems that whilst
the director directs the message to the correct file server and will indeed
hold it, mailq shows the original envelope recipient address (which is
usually 'userid@???'. Thus all the held mail is shown as being
under 'plymouth.ac.uk' and not the file server in question.

The problem is that we would like to have the mail held under each file
servers individual name - especially when more than one server is being
held, and when we are asked how much mail is being held for each server. We
could write something to scan through the mail queue but would rather have
hold_domains do what we expected it to do. Unfortunately this does not seem
possible.

The question then was what do other sites do? I assume (!) that we are not
the only site making use of the hold_domains option when problems occur, and
not the only site running a central mailhub which sends mail out to other
servers (MTA's). What happens when you try and hold a domain but can't see
what has actually been held or how much mail is held? How do you get around
this?

Thanks,

John.

John Horne, University of Plymouth, UK             Tel: +44 (0)1752 233914
E-mail: jhorne@???