Re: [Exim] Quotas

Author: Philip Hazel
To: sys044
CC: exim-users
New-Topics: Re: [Exim] Quotas
Subject: Re: [Exim] Quotas
On Thu, 22 Jun 2000 sys044@??? wrote:

> a. one message can be defered while another smaller one gets added to
>    the INBOX as the condition in src/transports/appendfile.c is

>       if (saved_size + message_size > ob->quota_value ||

Correct. The Exim quota acts in the same way that a system quota would
act. This seemed to me to be what people would naturally expect.

>    It is thought by some here that this could confuse users as a
>    large message may be deferred and even bounced without them
>    being aware as they would still be receiving some mail (assuming
>    they had ignored the quota warning and not cleared out their INBOX
>    out.

This is, of course, true with system quotas. (And I'm sure you know very
well that there is no way you can avoid confusing users. :-)

>     Another reason given for this change is when a large document is sent
>     which can never be delivered due to quota limits but is "so urgent"
>     it must get through (grant application).  This would allow
>     any message to be received provided the INBOX is not already over-quota
>     but with the normal consequences if it was not cleared from the INBOX.

Obviously, this kind of change could be made. But I would want to make
it an option, because I'm not convinced it would be what people
generally want. However, your example is not convincing. Once one "so
urgent" message has got through, the next one fails. Where do you stop?
Either you limit the mailbox or you don't.

What do other people on the list think? Are there any more of you who
would find an option to make Exim behave in this way useful?

> b. another problem is that a user does not know this is the last message
>    they will receive when the quota limit is over. It would be nice if EXIM
>    could generate a message that indicated that the quota limit had been
>    reached. This would be the only message deliverable when the INBOX
>    was over-quota. Their could be a list of message description configurable
>    which are always delivered

Personally, I feel that this is too much fancy creeping featurism. Users
should be made aware of mailbox limits and pay attention to them.

[I note that at least one free email provider puts up a message saying
"You have used x% of your mailbox" when you connect. This seems like a
the right sort of idea.]