Re: U-ZO: Re: [Exim] Malformed address on a list

Author: Jeffrey Goldberg
To: Marilyn Davis
CC: under-zo, exim-users
Subject: Re: U-ZO: Re: [Exim] Malformed address on a list
On Jun 20, 2000 Marilyn Davis <marilyn@???> wrote:

> On Mon, 19 Jun 2000, Jeffrey Goldberg wrote:

> You under-estimate me. ;^)

It appears that I have! Your "shelter" (as I understand it from your
posting) allow list subscribers to subscribe under special addresses for
the purpose of participating in the list. In effect, you are giving
people an anonymized ID for list participation.

I wasn't quiet sure what angel was for. Is it to defend against, Alice
maliciously and repeately sending subscribe requests for Bob to a list
Bob has no interest in?

For shelter you may wish to look at the code developed for anonymous
remailers.

> I think [documentation for some of locally generated tools] answers a
> lot of your comments.

Indeed it does. I was assuming a standard majordomo set-up, in which case
I and others thought that your configuration was a problem.

> > I never use an email address for websurfing. Why do you need to?
>
> Some browsers+javascript can read your email address and send it to
> the host. We exploit that to help people vote.
>
> > I really do wish your attempts to bring direct participation to the people
> > of Chiapas well.
> >
> > -j
>
> Your good wishes mean a lot to me, and I'm so glad to hear that you
> know so much about the Mexican situation. But, I hold no vision of
> bringing democracy to the people of Chiapas; they teach us. I want
> to bring their vision to the world.

Let me rephrase. You are providing some enabling tools for the people
of Chiapas to develop an open and participatory system. I do wish you
and them well.

> [...] When people vote in one of our plebiscites, we hide their
> address.

Thank you for clarifying that. I and others appear to have misunderstood
your "we are completely open and have nothing to hide" message which you
posted in response to my suggestion about concealing the -outgoing suffix.

PS: I don't particularly mind my message to you being quoted to the list,
but you have quoted to the exim list a message which I labeled at the top

"[mailed only, and not posted to the list]"

But you correctly guessed that the reason for that was because of my
digression on Mexican politics which should be off-topic, so I sent it to
you only as a courtasy to other list members. So I am retroactively
granting you permission to quote that message in a message to the exim
mailing list.

All of this now is well off topic, and probably belongs better on the
majordomo-users list of the list-managers list anyway. The one real exim
bit has already been discussed about setting a condition to prevent
non-majordomo cleared mail going to -outgoing.

-j

--
Jeffrey Goldberg
Note: I am moving and changing many addresses, please see