Re: U-ZO: Re: [Exim] Malformed address on a list

Author: Nigel Metheringham
To: John jacq
CC: under-zo, Jeffrey Goldberg, Marilyn Davis, Jeffrey Goldberg, exim-users
Subject: Re: U-ZO: Re: [Exim] Malformed address on a list
jjjacq@??? said:
> I hope the US will resist this attack on freedom of action. In
> Marilyn's case she is not the one to decide whether the addresses are
> visible or not, the whole list has to agree. It's her machine, and she
> set up the list, but she doesn't run it, we do, and if we want our
> addresses to remain visible, they will remain visible. That's
> democracy, and the EU or the UK have no jurisdiction over our list.

If it is *deliberately* run as an open list thats fine. You just need
to document it and make sure the whole list knows thats the policy.
You could also send the list membership to the DMA to save them time
and trouble - they might even give you a cut of the proceeds of the
spam list selling.

Personally, since US people often seem to sue first and think later if
at all, I would expect someone hosting a list with openly visible
subscription list to be sued into non-existance the first time a member
got spam.

BTW "the EU or the UK have no jurisdiction over our list" is wrong - in
the same way as the US music industry has no jurisdiction over a school
age person in Scandinavia I guess.

    Nigel.
[ Nigel Metheringham                  Nigel.Metheringham@??? ]