Re: [Exim] Malformed address on a list

Author: Nigel Metheringham
To: Jeffrey Goldberg
CC: Marilyn Davis, Jeffrey Goldberg, exim-users, under-zo
Subject: Re: [Exim] Malformed address on a list
Jeffrey@??? said:
> I am more than surprised that you don't conceal the addresses of your
> list members. General privacy concerns suggest that you should. Or
> have I misunderstood?

An argument could be made under EU Data Protection Law that to expose
your subscribers list is leaking personal data and hence an offence
under that law. Certainly I am might displeased that one of my useful
(ie non spam trap addresses appears to have leaked to a spammers list
and I am getting unmissable offers that I would rather miss not to
mention the negative effect that has on my productivity).

The UK data protection office have made if clear that people's email
addresses *are* personal data and so need to have care taken to protect
privacy and that they must only be used for the purposes for which they
were obtained etc etc. I understand that for companies there is going
to be some form of requirement for US companies to honour EU data
protection legislation.

    Nigel.
[ Nigel Metheringham                  Nigel.Metheringham@??? ]