[Exim] gdbm and exim update: Can't access databases

Author: Marc Haber
To: exim-users
Subject: [Exim] gdbm and exim update: Can't access databases
Hi!

On one of my mailservers, I did an update from exim 3.12 to exim 3.14
and updated the underlying Debian/GNU Linux system (probably including
the gdbm library). My exim 3.14 binary is dynamically linked to
libgdbm.so.1 which is symlinked to libgdbm.so.1.7.3.

Since that update, I keep getting log entries: "Failed to open
wait-remote_smtp database. Invalid argument" and "Failed to open retry
database". As far as I can see, the files are right there and are
accessible to the exim user.

Did the database format change? How do I rebuild the databases?

Greetings
Marc