Re: [Exim] Secure POP3

Author: Jim Tittsler
To: Guillaume Finance
CC: Exim Group
Subject: Re: [Exim] Secure POP3
On Mon, Jun 19, 2000 at 02:32:55AM +0100, Guillaume Finance wrote:

> When some users access the email server outside the local network, we can't
> then put any restriction on the access to the server (i.e. prevent intuders
> to use POP3).

Although you may still want to consider using tcp wrappers or xinetd to
control which remote IP addresses have access to your server.
http://www.xinetd.org/

> For instance with an email client software, we can select the option to
> send the password securely. Is there any available software (freeware) for
> this under Linux to do this?

I use OpenSSL and stunnel to eliminate the need to send plain text passwords
in the clear over the Internet. inetd or xinetd can be configured to have
the input side of of an SSL encrypted stunnel listening for POP/IMAP
connections, with the output side connecting to the actual server process
(which doesn't even have to be on the same machine as the stunnel). You can
generate a certificate for your site, and if you can handle the
administrative hassles, can also generate certificates for authorized clients.
http://www.OpenSSL.org/
http://www.stunnel.org/

--
Jim Tittsler, Tokyo