Re: [Exim] Re: domain without MX records...

Author: Philip Hazel
To: Ben Smithurst
CC: Laurent Luyckx, exim-users
Subject: Re: [Exim] Re: domain without MX records...
On Wed, 14 Jun 2000, Ben Smithurst wrote:

> Laurent Luyckx wrote:
>
> > How can I tell to exim to do not accept mail without MX records.
> >
> > I know that there is a option for that but I don't find it anymore.
>
> It's not clear what you want to do. Anyway, what's wrong with a domain
> not having MX records? That's perfectly legal. Do you want to not
> accept mail _from_ domains without MX records, or for domains with MX
> records? Either way, I suggest you re-think as you will probably block
> legitimate mail.

The only option is for not *sending to* domains without MX records.
Check out the mx_domains option. But Ben is right; you can't do this for
domains in general (but you can for your own domains - we do it for
domains in cam.ac.uk, for example. This saves trying to deliver to
people's PC workstations that don't run MTAs.) One day I hope there will
be a requirement for MX records, but it will be a long way off, I fear.