Re: [Exim] Rejection Explanation

Author: Hirling Endre
To: o.cook
CC: exim-users
Subject: Re: [Exim] Rejection Explanation
o.cook@??? wrote:

> I noticed this in my rejectlog:

> --
> 2000-06-11 20:36:03 refused relay (host) to <user@???> from
> <user@???> H=(marcus1) [62.x.x.x] (failed to find host
> name from IP address)
> --
>
> I'm assuming that it can't resolve 62.x.x.x - 62.x.x.x does not have a
> hostname associated with it - and is thus not accepting the message. Is
> there a configuration option I can put in, to make exim accept messages in
> this case? Are there any security implications in doing so?

If 62.x.x.x is on your network and you definitely want to
allow relaying from it, add 62.x.x.x to host_accept_relay.
If it's not on your network then it's good not to allow this
kind of relaying.

Be aware that exim tries host_accept_relay entries in order
so it rejects messages if you have a *.domain entry before
the ip network/mask type entries and the host doesn't have a
working reverse DNS entry. So I would set host_accept_relay
up like this:

host_accept_relay = 62.x.x.x/y : *.domain : localhost

greetings
endre