Re: [Exim] Authenticating Email Before Sending

Author: Yann Golanski
To: Gareth C. Fowler
CC: exim-users
Subject: Re: [Exim] Authenticating Email Before Sending
On Fri, Jun 09, 2000 at 09:59:53AM +0100, Gareth C. Fowler wrote:
> I have been told to investigate the possibility of having ALL emails (except
> a choosen few) sent to an Administrator for checking to make sure that no
> company secrets, etc are being passed on, or email being used for a
> different purpose to what it was designed for in the office?

remeber me never to work for your company... ;>

> User x & y - needs authenticating first
> User z - NO authentication needed, just send it.
>
> In brief, if user x or y was to send mail then all their mail would be
> bounced on via email or via web interface to the administrator, who would
> read it, and either pass it on as if it wasn't even checked or delete it and
> warn the user. Whereas User z, can just send it without the administrator
> checking it.
>
> Can anyone suggest anything?

In a filter file:

if $header_from: contains lsearch:/usr/snooping/supects.lst
then
freeze "this is a suspect email from a suspect user"

Then have your postmaster deal with all frozen emails. You might want to
make sure that you have a peice of coide that warns you when mail is
frozen, or checks every-so-often if there is frozen mail on the system.

If you want I have written a small and very Linux orianted monitor for
that. It as well gives you things like CPU and RAM percentage usage,
Disk IO, number of processes and many other usefull things like that.
It's alpha and works at Planet. However, I cann't justify the time and
effort to make a `real distribution'. It uses rrdtool for the graphs.

--
        Please use PGP when replying to this message
Dr Yann Golanski                            Internet Systems Developer