Re: [Exim] message ID's WISH LIST

Author: Philip Hazel
To: Jim Pazarena
CC: exim-users
Subject: Re: [Exim] message ID's WISH LIST
On Tue, 23 May 2000, Jim Pazarena wrote:

> Is there any way message ID's could be forced to NOT use
> 1 (ones) and l (el's).
>
> 1l1l100l1l1l22l110l
>
> This is a dramatization, but it emphasizes how awkward it is
> for my failing eyes to distinguish the two.

If you mean the contents of the Message-Id: header, the answer is no
because Exim shouldn't be generating them in most cases. (It only does
so if an incoming message doesn't have one.)

If you mean Exim's own message IDs the answer is again, I'm afraid, no
because they are built from base-62 numbers and need all the letters and
digits.

(Yes, other characters could be used, but their ordering isn't obvious,
and I don't want to make such changes at this stage. Also, next you'll
be wanting to leave out O (oh) and 0 (zero)... :-)

My eyes are very much less acute than they used to be. I never type a
message id. I always cut and paste...