Re: [Exim] Non-numeric variables in filters

Author: Philip Hazel
To: Phil Pennock
CC: Exim Users
Subject: Re: [Exim] Non-numeric variables in filters
On Sat, 20 May 2000, Phil Pennock wrote:

> I was looking at the spam-filter when I set it up yesterday, and spent a
> lot of time trying to find ways to extract the duplicated information
> out into variables. I failed, and truly comprehended the difference
> between exim config and exim filter.

I wanted to keep the filter language *very simple* because it was
designed for use by end users. It was intended for use in personal mail
management. The subsequent use for spam filtering rather distorted
things. I don't really want to implement a full-blown programming
language - there's always embedded Perl for that. I rather suspect that
if I add non-numeric variables, there will then be more pressure for
further programming-language extensions...

There is also the performance issue. I need to think about better ways
of embedding local logic into Exim.