Re: [Exim] Safe Kill

Author: James Greenhalgh
To: Philip Hazel
CC: Exim-Users
Subject: Re: [Exim] Safe Kill
On 18-May-00 Philip Hazel wrote:
> On Thu, 18 May 2000, James Greenhalgh wrote:
>
>> Kill the master exim process.
>
> **** Please do not use that terminology. ****
>
> Exim does not have a "master daemon". Exim has no central "master"
> process - it is entirely distributed. (That is one of the reasons it
> scales fairly well - no central process to be a bottleneck.) The daemon
> process (if there is one - you can run Exim perfectly happily without,
> using inetd and cron instead) just listens for incoming SMTP and/or
> starts queue runners periodically. It has no controlling function!

Fair enough - I've only ever seen setups with a daemon process ;-) And in
those cases, killing that and waiting a few minutes works a treat. I'd imagine
most users, especially new ones, are running with exim-as-sendmail-replacement
configuration.

> True, but local processes can start new ones.

They don't continue respawning once a daemon process is gone in that type of
setup, seemingly.

james

E-Mail: James Greenhalgh <james@???>
Date: 18-May-00