Re: [Exim] Re: using exim w/ more than 65000 users

Author: robert rotman
To: Vadim Vygonets
CC: exim-users
Subject: Re: [Exim] Re: using exim w/ more than 65000 users

On Wed, 17 May 2000, Vadim Vygonets wrote:

> Quoth ?ukasz Grochal on Tue, May 16, 2000:
> > Anyway, what I'm currently using is a modified POP3 server that checks
> > usersnames and passwords against a custom /etc/whatever file that has
> > a format of "username:hashed-password:extended user info".
>
> It's fine for 400 users, but it will _not_ work for 100K users.
> It will just be too slow. It's much better to use some sort of
> database. I'm not sure Berkeley DB will cut it, but professional
> databases (MySQL, PostgreSQL, and friends) and databases such as
> DNS (Hesiod seems like a more logical choice in this case)
> probably will. If you go with DNS (or Hesiod), you may also want
> a caching-only DNS server on your mailserver machine. But you
> may want to do it anyway.

I use mysql for authentification but only for 5000 user.
I guess that mysql will handle with some optimisation about 50.000 -
or maybe more - on a PC - linux/ Freebsd.
If you neet fast query-performance and less update-performance you should
use a database like ldap (www.openldap.org), i guess.

robert