Re: [Exim] Conditional rewrite to null sender?

Author: Dave C.
To: Philip Hazel
CC: exim-users
Subject: Re: [Exim] Conditional rewrite to null sender?
On Wed, 17 May 2000, Philip Hazel wrote:

> On Tue, 16 May 2000, Dave C. wrote:
>
> > For any messages received by SMTP from a specific host, that have a
> > specific envelope sender, I'd like to change the envelope sender to be
> > <> (eg, the null sender), and have all of the conditions that implies
> > be set (eg, the message considered to be an error return message)
> >
> > I've tried a conditional rewrite, but it doesn't seem to like rewriting
> > to the null sender..
>
> What was the rule? What was the error?

I tried both of the following..

^postmaster@???$ "${if eq {$sender_host_address}{the.ipa.ddr.ess} {<>} fail}"

^postmaster@???$ "${if eq {$sender_host_address}{the.ipa.ddr.ess} {} fail}"

> Hmm. On a quick test it does seem to object to doing that. I guess it's
> because in all other cases it is invalid. I'll have to look at the code.
>
> You might try a different approach and use the return_path option in the
> outgoing transport. Maybe that will work.

Hrm.. I actually tried that, and I don't think it worked. (I know this
becuase I just found a commented instance of just that setting in the
config)..

return_path = "${if and {\
{match{$return_path}{postmaster@???}}\
{match{$sender_host_address}{the.ipa.ddr.ess}}\
} {<>} fail}"

But I don't remember what the result was..

Maybe I will have a go at it again...