Re: [Exim] user ... not found for file existence

Author: Jeffrey Goldberg
To: Philip Hazel
CC: exim-users
Subject: Re: [Exim] user ... not found for file existence
On May 16, 2000 Philip Hazel <ph10@???> wrote:

> On Mon, 15 May 2000, Jeffrey Goldberg wrote:
>
> > I am getting repeated panic log messages like
> >
> > 2000-05-15 17:13:10 user "j.mochales.1999.response" for file existence test not found
> > 2000-05-15 17:19:14 user "j.mochales.1999.response" for file existence test not found
> > 2000-05-15 17:23:17 user "j.mochales.1999.response" for file existence test not found
> >
> > They don't seem to be associated with any events, and I have a perfectly
> > normal alias j.mochales.1999

Let me add that I have tried to correlate with events, but have failed.
I'm running at about 1 main log line per second (I'll try checking quieter
periods) but the panics are once every few minutes.

> > I also have a director
> >
> > functional_autoreply:
> >        driver = smartuser
> >        domains = "lsearch;TABLES/local_domains.common:\
> >                   lsearch;TABLES/local_domains.THISHOST"
> >        transport = autoresponders
> >        require_files = TABLES/forwardfiles/${local_part}.response
> >        user = exim
> >        unseen

> Weird. What is TABLES set to?

TABLES = /software/exim/tables

and is used all through this otherwise working set-up.

> What happens if you try an address test
> (-bt) with debugging turned on?

I tried at -d3 for a couple of addresses, including j.mochales.1999
and also some plain other ones. I saw no surprises with them.

> Do you have any other directors with require_files set?

There is a nearly identical one that uses forwardfiles and looks for

        require_files = TABLES/forwardfiles/${local_part}.forward

(I can't be certain at the moment as I am at home). I do not believe that
there are any others. This is exim-3.13 running on Tru64 Unix (AKA DEC
Unix, AKA OSF1) with nothing funny compiled in.

It is strange. Either I have a funny require_file that I have forgotten
about (but I believe I searched the configure file before checking) or
some bug somewhere is writing into the memory used for something else.

But the quoted unfound user should NEVER be either a user on the system or
a valid alias. (come to think of it, I didn't check sending mail to a
user called
j.mochales.1999.response
I will try that when I am next in, or one of my colleagues reading this
list might give it a try.)

-j

--
Jeffrey Goldberg
Note: I am moving and changing many addresses, please see