Re: [Exim] using exim w/ more than 65000 users

Αρχική Σελίδα
Συντάκτης: Will Morton
Ημερομηνία:
Προς: exim-users
Αντικείμενο: Re: [Exim] using exim w/ more than 65000 users
Yann Golanski wrote:

> Now, it realy depends what you want out of your mail system. If all you
> want is a usr@domain, then you have to have a database of usernames.
> This however will make your system slower and even more dependent on
> disk IO -- unless you do something clever like have a netapp filer as
> your back end.

    This is what we did. A database or (in our case) a big LDAP directory.
The downside, as Yann said, is that you need some big iron to put it on,
but if you're running an O(100K users) system then that's going to be
the case anyway, neh? :o)

    The NetApp filers work extremely well. They talk NFS out the front but
they have their own proprietory system under the bonnet which negates
all the icky problems we've had with NFS - file locking, concurrent
filehandles, etc etc etc. They are also fscking fast.
    We're in the process of upgrading from them to an EMC, and the speed of
those things is just incredible. Mind you at 1.6m a pop, you'd expect
it. :o)

    As for the config file, I am also under the whole commercial
confidentiality thing :o(. However, I can tell you that it's not that
difficult - it took me about 4 days to write, and a further week or so
to tweak for efficiency, and we have quite a convoluted system. Immerse
yourself in the Exim Manual and everything becomes clear.

    Let me know if I can help.

Chaos reigns within.
Reflect, repent and reboot.
Order shall return.