Re: [Exim] Re: using exim w/ more than 65000 users

Author: michael
To: lansyaw, yann
CC: exim-users
Subject: Re: [Exim] Re: using exim w/ more than 65000 users
> > how about IMAP ?
>
> Stay well clear off IMAP... it will create you SO many storage problems
> you will hate it for it.

It has the potential to do so, but for now the bugs in common mail
clients are a pain. Even if clients work fine, imap confuses regular
users to no end. "Folders in my mailbox?" "I don't like mail being on
the server." "POP works for me and each time I try to change my profile
I screw up everything, so I better stay with it."

The peak of simultaneous POP3 connections is 40-50 on each node. The peak
of IMAP connections is 4-6, but that's so little, that IMAP usage has no
relation to out peak hours.

That's why I offer IMAP since about half a year now. The few that use it
are very happy about it and the rest simply ignores it.

Michael