Re: [Exim] using exim w/ more than 65000 users

Autor: Yann Golanski
A: lansyaw
CC: exim-users
Assumpte: Re: [Exim] using exim w/ more than 65000 users
On Tue, May 16, 2000 at 05:48:06AM -0400, lansyaw@??? wrote:
>    i was wondering whether someone has had any experience with using
>    Exim on mail servers with more than 65K users, that is, user db is
>    placed someplace else (an *SQL table maybe) and not /etc/passwd
>    where uid limit is at 65K something.

Yes, I do... 2.6 million users last time I looked -- freeserve in case
you don't know ;>

>    any help, or pointers to some documentation greatly appreciated :-)

Now, it realy depends what you want out of your mail system. If all you
want is a usr@domain, then you have to have a database of usernames.
This however will make your system slower and even more dependent on
disk IO -- unless you do something clever like have a netapp filer as
your back end.

You could be sneaky and have users own their own domain (node.domain)
and then use POP as a way to have unlimitted amount of users
(usr@???). This is what freeserve does.

--
Dr Yann Golanski                            Internet Systems Developer
PGP: www.kierun.org/pgp/key                 Mailmaster for the Planet Online