著者: Philip Hazel
To: Vadim Vygonets
CC: exim-users
題目: Re: [Exim] Another wacky question
On Sat, 13 May 2000, Vadim Vygonets wrote:

> At some point, Philip did mention that directors and routers are
> essentialy the same, and he would collapse them into one concept
> if he was him.

To expand a bit: what I said was that originally directors and routers
were very different from each other, but as Exim has developed, they
have become more and more similar (many common options; fewer
distinguishing restrictions) and that indeed I had wondered about
combining them into a single kind of item (probably called a "router")
at some point.

However, the distinction between local and non-local domains is needed
in a number of different places, so there would still need to be
something like the local_domains option.

It would, of course, be a major upheaval. Whether it would be possible
to do it compatibly is something I would have to look at. This, if ever,
is a long way off.