[Exim] Exim is relaying in an odd case??

Author: Jason Gunthorpe
To: Mark Baker, exim-users
CC: Shaju Zachariah, James Andrew Smith
Subject: [Exim] Exim is relaying in an odd case??
Hi all,

I just got this message in my mail box, it seems an Exim machine I setup
is relaying mail in our local environment ;< It was setup using the
standard Debian 'satellite system' configuration which causes all email to
be rewritten to point at another domain and all outbound mail to be
delivered to a smarthost. (Thus this might be an obscure general problem
in the Debian setup, Hi Mark)

In my setup here the smarthost is a sendmail system (ee.ualberta.ca). What
happens is that Exim is given a message that looks like
relay%uarelay.obtuse.com@???
and rewrites that into
relay%uarelay.obtuse.com@???

And sends it to the sendmail system. The sendmail system is configured to
allow the IP net the Exim box is on to relay mail, so it rewrites the
address again using UUCP conventions to finally deliver it to the relay
checker :<

What gives? If exim was used on nyquist instead of sendmail, or sendmail
used on larcs instead of exim this would not happen, it is only when they
are used together like this that there is a problem!

How can I properly arrange for exim to act like sendmail in processing
these ancient UUCP destinations, or at the very least drop things with %
and ! in them? Should that change be standard for Debian, since this is a
stock configuration?

Thanks,
Jason

-------8<-- Message relayed by ee.ualberta.ca --8<--------