[Exim] Re: Exim features

Αρχική Σελίδα
Συντάκτης: Philip Hazel
Ημερομηνία:
Προς: Jason Gunthorpe, Jason Gunthorpe
Υ/ο: exim-users
Αντικείμενο: [Exim] Re: Exim features
On Mon, 8 May 2000, Jason Gunthorpe wrote:

> 1) Abusive SMTP input
> Our list server runs qmail and as we all know it fires off one connect
> per recpient. This new exim server has many people subscribed to the
> various lists so qmail hammers it very hard. Exim neatly limits to 20
> connections, but instead of just delaying new connects and letting them
> sit on the listen queue (like tcpserver does) exim fires back a '4xx too
> many concurrent users' response. This seems less than ideal. I would
> like to see an option for tcpserver-like behavior

This would require extensive revision of the logic of the code in the
daemon, and I'm not sure you actually gain much, do you? By giving a 4xx
error you get the remote host to back off for a bit, which takes load
off your system.

> 2) Weird .forward stuff
> Most of the things I was to deal with in a fairly sane manner, but
> two stood out..
>
>    a)
>      cat .qmail-default
>      |forward foo-$EXT@???

>    b)
>      cat .qmail
>      ./MailDir/

>    a is probably impossible without procmail or an exim filter or
>    something, still, it is a rather interesting idea.

What does it actually do? Send a message? You might be able to do that
by testing for existence of .qmail-default and if it exists, direct the
address to an autoreply transport.

>    b+c strike me as legtimately usefull './' should indicate a file/directory
>    and expand to $HOME.

What is c? Again, what does this actually do?

> 3) localuser doesn't run as the user
> Consider a localuser director that is checking for .procmail files to
> automatically run procmail on. If the user has their home dir u=rwx then
> Exim cannot read the contents because it does not change uids like it
> does for the forwardfile director.

Check out the facility for changing user in the require_files option.