Re: [Exim] More on --name of trojan deleted--

Author: Dr Andrew C Aitchison
To: Nick O'Brien
CC: exim-users
Subject: Re: [Exim] More on --name of trojan deleted--
On Thu, 4 May 2000, Nick O'Brien wrote:

> Is it pointed out at http://www.datafellows.fi/~descs/love.htm that the
> ILOVEYOU virus will also email all RAS and Windows passwords to
> mailme@??? the next time IE is started
>
> I want to block all outgoing mail to this address - I assume that adding
> something like this to my system filter should cover it:
>
> if $h_to conatins mailme@??? or $repicients contains
>   mailme@???
> then
>    fail text "you appear to have a virus on your PC (see \
>    http://www.fsecure.com/v-descs/love.htm).
> endif

From my reading of http://www.datafellows.fi/v-descs/love.htm
although the trojan sends email to mailme@???, it
uses the 'smpt.super.net.ph' mail server to send e-mails,
so unless you have a firewall, I *suspect* that these mails from your
infected Windows boxes do not go via your exim machine, thus this wont
catch anything.

Worth doing anyway, in case I'm wrong.

Am I the only one who is catching no real viruses,
but almost every mail in this thread :-) ?

Dr. Andrew C. Aitchison        Computer Officer, DPMMS, Cambridge
A.C.Aitchison@???    http://www.dpmms.cam.ac.uk/~werdna