[Exim] Removing old email update:

Startseite
Nachricht löschen
Nachricht beantworten
Autor: Derrick MacPherson
To: Exim Users List
Betreff: [Exim] Removing old email update:
A few months ago I asked about getting rid of old email, and what tools
were out there... I have found a fairly decent perl script that does
such a thing from Michael Sofka, at Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute
(RPI). It can be found at:

         ftp://ftp.rpi.edu/home/89/sofkam/public/preenmail/preenmail.pl
         ftp://ftp.rpi.edu/home/89/sofkam/public/preenmail/preenstats.pl

         ftp://ftp.rpi.edu/home/89/sofkam/public/preenmail/README

A notes from Mike:
begin quote

It WILL require some site-specific modification (especially the lock
file
and default temp file locations). The README file
tells you how. We've been running it for years with little mishap
(it printed X-RPI-Expires headers with the year 1900, once, but that
was quickly fixed and actually made no difference given the way
Perl's date routine worked).

Be sure to test file locking!!!!

Usual disclaimers apply. If you are going to run a script that removes
email, be sure to test it and test it again to be sure it works on your
site (preenmail has lots of options for testing, preserving the removed
email, and so on).

Mike

P.S. It also does perl pattern matching against headers and/or body,
so it's also useful for removing spam and viruses.

end quote

Mike also said that he was open to corrections or additions that anyone
may have...

--
"Poor planning on your behalf does not constitute an emergency on mine."

Derrick MacPherson
Mercury Filmworks