Re: [Exim] Return-Path

Startseite
Nachricht löschen
Nachricht beantworten
Autor: Philip Hazel
To: Pete Ashdown
CC: exim-users
Betreff: Re: [Exim] Return-Path
On Tue, 11 Apr 2000, Pete Ashdown wrote:

> I have a subscriber complaining about the lack of Return-Path in mail
> received by Exim. Is there a way to preserve this header?

From RFC 822:

     4.3.1.  RETURN-PATH

        This field  is  added  by  the  final  transport  system  that
        delivers  the message to its recipient.  The field is intended
        to contain definitive information about the address and  route
        back to the message's originator.

        Note:  The "Reply-To" field is added  by  the  originator  and
               serves  to  direct  replies,  whereas the "Return-Path"
               field is used to identify a path back to  the  origina-
               tor.

Exim can be made to add a return-path header "by the final transport
system" by setting the option return_path_add on either an appendfile or
a pipe transport. It will normally remove any such headers it receives
in incoming messages; you can prevent this by setting

no_return_path_remove

but then you run the risk of ending up with more than one of them.

[The index entry for Return-path in the manual points to all this
information about Exim.]