Re: [Exim] 3.13 build -- crypt library???

Startseite
Nachricht löschen
Nachricht beantworten
Autor: Marilyn Davis
To: development
CC: exim-users, clint.davis
Betreff: Re: [Exim] 3.13 build -- crypt library???

On Fri, 7 Apr 2000, Philip Hazel wrote:

> On Thu, 6 Apr 2000, Marilyn Davis wrote:
>
> > I'm trying to build 3.13 and it fails because it can't find -lcrypt.
>
> It shouldn't actually need lcrypt unless you have requested that it
> include support for SMTP authentication. However, I see that -lcrypt is
> included in the Linux configuration.
>
> > We are on Caldera Linux.
>
> Which is not one that I can personally try; -lcrypt is there in RedHat,
> and I presume Debian (since lots of people use Debian and nobody has
> complained).
>
> However, if you aren't using SMTP authentication (and knowing your
> background I suspect you are not), for a quick fix, just remove -lcrypt
> from the Makefile that has been built in the build directory, and see if
> it manages without it. (Or get your sysadmin to create a dummy -lcrypt
> library.)

Removing -lcrypt from the generated Makefile worked!

There was one other tiny wrinkle before the whole thing compiled:

gcc -o em_globals.o -c -O -I/usr/X11R6/include -I. -I../exim_monitor \
../exim_monitor/`echo em_globals.o | sed 's/o$/c/'`
../exim_monitor/em_globals.c:175: `SPOOL_DIRECTORY' undeclared here (not in a function)
../exim_monitor/em_globals.c:175: parse error before string constant
make[1]: *** [em_globals.o] Error 1

So I explicitly defined it in the Makefile (taking out the '#' on the
default). Maybe I was supposed to do that all along.

Thanks so much. I'm so glad we didn't have to reload the OS!

> Sigh. I used to think it bad enough that there were so many flavours of
> Unix - now we have multiple sub-flavours of one flavour (viz Linux), and
> life is getting worse, not better. Sheesh.

Yep! My project too has suffered mightily from the proliferation of
Linux's, each with their own little idiosyncrasies. And the new
"experimental" compiler has cost me many weeks of unexpected work. 2
steps forward, 1.9 steps back.

Thanks again.

Marilyn Davis, Ph.D.
eVote - online polling software for email lists
http://www.deliberate.com
marilyn@???
+1 650 965-7121  (USA)