Re: [Exim] HELO reject when reverse DNS lookup fails - trivi…

トップ ページ
このメッセージを削除
このメッセージに返信
著者: Paul Sheer
To: Nigel.Metheringham
CC: ph10, exim-users
古いトピック: Re: [Exim] HELO reject when reverse DNS lookup fails - trivial patch and new c onf option suggested
題目: Re: [Exim] HELO reject when reverse DNS lookup fails - trivial pat ch and new c onf option suggested
On 6 Mar, Nigel Metheringham did thusly spake:

> Reading from the spec document....
>> Even if its address doesn't match `host_lookup', a sending host's real
>> name is looked up from its IP address if the argument it provides for
>> the HELO or EHLO command is the local host's own name, or the name of
>> one of its local domains, which seems to be a fairly common
>> misconfiguration.
>
> Does this extra logic actually gain anything, and would we be better
> dropping this special casing on DNS reverse lookups and just relying on
> the `host_lookup' config variable.

Agreed. This behaviour is non-obvious. When one has a
`host_lookup' or such type option, and one has only one of them, one
expects that specifying an IP range with it ACTUALLY RESULTS in that IP
range being omitted from reverse-lookups :-)

I am sure it would be most frustrating to users to find exim STILL
refusing to deliver, especially inside a masqueraded LAN where there is
no security concern.

Hence perhaps an extra option - host_lookup_domains ???

-paul

--

Cellular . . . +27 83 604 0615 . . . . Land . . . +27 21 761 7224
Obsidian Systems . . . . Linux installations, support, networking