Re: [Exim] host lists and arbitrary host masks

Página superior
Eliminar este mensaje
Autor: Marc Haber
A: exim-users
Asunto: Re: [Exim] host lists and arbitrary host masks
On Mon, 28 Feb 2000 09:40:04 +0000 (GMT), you wrote:
>> Maybe one could have a net<number-range>-<searchtype> entry like
>> "net24-28-lsearch" if one knows that only /24, /25, /26, /27 and /28
>> entries are in the database file?
>
>That is just a shorthand for
>
> net24-dbm;/file : net25-dbm/file : ....
>
>It would still do 5 probes of the file for every address. (So for an
>lsearch file it would read it 5 times.)

I'd still like to see an option to have that as a short hand for a
quite expensive operation. It should be documented that this _is_ an
expensive operation and should probably only be used for big dbm
files.

>If, as you say, your list is never going to be more than a screen long,
>then I would just use an interpolated file, and forget about using a
>lookup. Then it really will just scan the list once. To be less
>efficient than the multiple probes, I suspect the list would have to be
>quite long.

I concur. However, there are situations where those lists can be quite
long (for example, host_accept_relay lists for mail hubs). And
interpolated files don't like comments :-(

OTOH, this would add still more freeping creaturism to exim, so I'll
live with a negative decision if you don't want to include that into
exim.

Greetings
Marc