Re: [Exim] Newbie: local_domains

Author: Philip Hazel
To: Jon Farmer
CC: exim-users
Subject: Re: [Exim] Newbie: local_domains
On Wed, 23 Feb 2000, Jon Farmer wrote:

> I am trying to specify a dbm file for local_domains in exim.conf as per the
> instructions for virtual domains. The dbm file seems to build ok but when I
> restart exim using it and try to send a email I get a
>
> 421 Unexpected failure, please try later
>
> message right after doing a EHLO command.
>
> For the record this is what I have in my exim.conf file
>
> local_domains = "netconnectpro.co.uk: dbm;/mail/domainsdbm"

(1) Is there anything on the exim main log or panic log?

(2) Check the permissions on the file.

(3) Try a test DBM lookup with

exim -be '${lookup{a.domain}dbm{/mail/domainsdbm}{$value}{FAILED}}'

where a.domain is a domain that is supposed to be in the file. That at
least will confirm whether the DBM is working. You can also try it with
-d9, which might give more clues.