Re: [Exim] Unknown users and return-path/Resent-from

Author: John Horne
To: Exim Users List
Subject: Re: [Exim] Unknown users and return-path/Resent-from
On 17-Feb-00 at 11:05:30 Philip Hazel wrote:
> On Thu, 17 Feb 2000, John Horne wrote:
>> However, in our case, and as pointed out by Jonathan Hunter,
>> 'forwarding' here is referring to the user actually reading the message
>> and deliberately clicking the 'forward' button to send the message to
>> another user.
>
> Oh! That's a completely different kettle of fish. In that case, I would
> say that a reasonable MUA should "normally" resend a new message, with a
> new envelope sender.

Phew! I thought I was really going bonkers with this :-) Yes, once again
apologies, I should have pointed out what I meant by 'forwarding'.

> Example: on this host, I run Pine. I can "forward" - which wraps the old
> message in a new one, or "bounce", which does not. However, even if I do
> "bounce" - i.e. I resend the old message unchanged, the envelope
> recipient gets set to me.

Pegasus/Mercury obviously does not :-(

> I presume you have some way of distinguishing these delivery failure
> messages from other delivery failures that should not be changed? If it
> is something along the lines of

As soon as I hit the 'send' I knew you were going to ask that :-) Yes, I
will have to put a condition in for our file servers, and another for
everyone else - or some such mechanism.

> I guess that might work.

I'll try some things out - the first test failed for some reason, but I
don't think this will be a real problem to configure :-)

Many thanks, and I'm glad we seem to agree on things in this scenario! I
was getting worried that I completely misunderstood things :-)

John.

John Horne, University of Plymouth, UK             Tel: +44 (0)1752 233914
E-mail: jhorne@???
Finger for PGP key: john@???